(1) GLORY HALLELUJAH the first round of the PROJECT OF DOOOOOOOOOM is done at work! December will be busy, as all the ancillary docs need to be brought into line, but I will no longer be at work or on call 24/7 like I've been all November. The other newsletter girls (let's give a cheer for them, shall we?) will no longer have to cover my ass. And I missed all of you.
(2) I had a dream Friday night that Dean and Inara grew up together as (mostly) platonic best friends. WTF, brain? Inara is my third least-favorite character. I never really liked Book - thought the character was a good idea but poorly executed. And I always hated Simon. I don't know why - I'm a sucker for sibling relationships, and especially so for brother and sister pairings. But Simon just grated on me from the beginning, and there was never a moment that I genuinely liked him. Whatever. My main complaint about Inara was that she's boring. I just never got much of a read off her. I've only written one Firefly fic ("Phyxius"), and it's telling that Inara was the one for whom I had to invent the most dramatic backstory. Anyway, Dean and Inara were wee little urchins - servants in some wealthy family's house - and they totally bonded and were BFF and slept together every once in a while. It was a good dream. Maybe if I could watch more of Still Life, I'd be satisfied. Or maybe I'll write it up one of these days.
(3) I've fallen totally in love with the idea (kick-started by janissa11 one fine day) for my next big Supernatural story. If I could figure out the structure of the piece and the proper POVs, I'd be writing it already and wallowing in the idea of John as a newly single dad and the boys as wee little bits.
(4) Does anyone else get like this? Feel like once you've written a story, you just can't go back to the same scenario - something just won't let you? I feel like I couldn't write anymore Dean/Cassie or Stanford-Sam (or Sam/Jess) without disrupting the stories I already wrote. I think it's totally irrational and stupid, and yet you'd be hard-pressed to find a better description of me. Am I alone on this?
(5) A number of people have commented that my stories are hard to find. I thought my lj tags were very transparent - just click on the "supernatural_fic_my" tag if you want to find my stuff for this fandom. I use the memories feature to save my favorite stories that OTHER people have written. But enough people have made this comment that I'm thinking of making a post listing my fics. Thoughts?
(6) I haven't written anything in so long. That seems like a lie, but it's really not. As Inigo would say, lemme splain. "Devil in a Yellow Dress," my first and last crackfic, was something I'd been considering since I watched "Devil's Trap" - you can see the germ for it in my ep review. "Sugar" surprised me in that it just came pouring out - start to finish about two or three hours. I had spent about a week trying to figure out the proper starting point for it, but once I realized it wasn't going to be just porn, that Linzie was demanding that her side of the story be told, it just happened. And that's very weird for me, since I agonize over every single word usually. And scene four feels like it doesn't count because I'm ALWAYS thinking about BEN AND DEAN and it doesn't really feel like ME writing - it feels like I'm getting scenes revealed to me and then I just transcribe them. I don't know how else to explain it.
Anyway, all of this is to say that I am absolutely chomping at the bit to write again. So I think I'm going to make December my mini-NaNo month. I've got an idea for a long and plotty story - or rather, I have the beginning and some of the middle, and I need to do some research and see where the story takes me. All I know right now is that like "Sita," it will start after "Devil's Trap." I have no idea how long the story will end up having to be, but I'm going to try to write and post a thousand words a day and see where that gets me. So here are my two questions for you. (a) For anyone else who missed out on NaNo - anyone want to join me in this silly endeavor? Daily updates to a single fic? A ludicrous word-count goal? Anybody? (b) For everyone still reading this post, how should I do this? I was planning to just post the daily snippets here (each behind an lj cut, of course) and then, if I don't fizzle out, rework the whole thing into a coherent fic and post that at the end. Should I create a special filter (HOW do I create a filter?) for people who're actually interested in keeping up with this madness? I don't really want to bother setting up another lj, since this is a smaller undertaking than real NaNo. Tell me what you would find least annoying, please. Ooh! Anyone have one of those word-count bars handy?